Serving patients of Erwin, Jonesborough, and Greeneville, TN
Sports guards are specially designed to protect your teeth, lips, cheeks, and tongue from succumbing to injury while you play sports. Many sports guards are available in stores, but here is why a custom-made guard from your Greeneville dentist at Tusculum Dental Care provides you with better protection, among answers to other common questions you may have regarding a sports guard.
What is a sports guard?
A sports guard is custom-made from impressions of your teeth, which result in a comfortable fit with ultimate protection. You wear the guard each time that you engage in sports or sports-related activities. Sports guards are ideal for anyone, especially children and teens, who participate in any sports-related activity in which injury to the mouth or face is a risk.
What are the risks of not wearing a sports guard?
Nearly every type of sport be it wrestling, gymnastics, or football, to mountain biking, and basketball involves a level of risk that could result in an injury or blow to the face.
These injuries often result in an emergency visit to the dentist or even the hospital, and may leave you with any one or a combination of the following:
- Laceration to lips, tongue, or cheeks
- Broken or chipped tooth
- Damage to existing dental work
- Damage to braces (if wearing orthodontics)
- An avulsed tooth (knocked out)
- Damage to the jaw or jaw joints
What is the difference between a custom-made and a generic sports guard?
You probably have seen many different types of sports guards available for purchase at your local sports store or even online. However, these sports guards do not offer the same comfortable fit or protection as the ones provided by your dentist in Greeneville at Tusculum Dental Care.
Our sports guards are made from impressions of your mouth, which means it will be comfortable to wear and remain in place while wearing it, unlike most store-bought varieties.
Caring for your Sports Guard
You can prolong the effectiveness of your sports guard, and extend its life by following these care instructions:
- Always wash your sports guard with warm water and mild soap after each use, avoid scrubbing it or using harsh, abrasive cleaners.
- Ensure it is thoroughly dry before storing it away in the case that we provide you.
- Avoid sharing your sports guard since it is custom designed to fit your mouth only.
- Avoid storing your sports guard in excessive heat, such as leaving it in your car or lying out in the direct sun.
- Always wear your sports guard when participating in sports.
- Keep your sports guard away from pets.
- Should your sports guard become broken or lost, come and see us for a new one.
Sports Guard from Greeneville Dentist
Protect your teeth while participating in sports by obtaining a custom-made sports guard from Tusculum Dental Care. To learn more, contact our office by calling (423) 639-7575 to schedule a consultation.
Tusculum Dental Care welcomes patients of Erwin, Jonesborough, and Greeneville, Tennessee.