Serving patients of Erwin, Jonesborough, and Greeneville, TN
Do you have a tooth that has suffered major damage due to injury or tooth decay? If so, your local Greeneville dentists at Tusculum Dental Care can install a crown to replace the damaged exterior of the tooth and prevent total tooth loss.
How a Crown Works
Having a crown installed restores the exterior of a tooth while also protecting a tooth’s interior structure, which includes the blood vessels and nerves.
We offer two types of crowns at Tusculum Dental Care:
- PFM: Standing for porcelain-fused-to-metal, this type of crown consists of a durable metal shell that is covered with beautiful dental porcelain. This porcelain has the same light-reflecting quality as natural tooth enamel, and the porcelain can be matched to the shade of the surrounding teeth, thus making your crown indistinguishable in the mouth. The metal substructure makes this type of crown ideal for areas of the mouth that experience more stress during chewing.
- Metal-free: Made entirely of dental porcelain, this type of crown is ideal for repairing front teeth so that there is no metal showing through around the gum line. These all-porcelain crowns also are a great option for patients who suffer from a metal allergy.
Why a Crown is Important?
Installing a crown prevents total tooth loss as well as the oral health risks associated with missing teeth. When you lose a permanent tooth, you become more susceptible to gum disease and additional tooth loss. Another long-term consequence of tooth loss is the deterioration of the jawbone, which no longer receives the needed stimulation from the tooth’s root. Tooth loss also heightens your risk factor of developing certain serious oral health issues such as gum disease and temporomandibular joint disorder (also known as TMJ).
When is a crown needed?
Your local Jonesborough dentists at Tusculum Dental Care consider a crown the preferred treatment in the following situations:
- A broken or fractured tooth
- A tooth that has sustained major damage due to tooth decay
- A tooth that is weak, misshapen, short, or brittle
- A tooth that has been damaged by an existing restoration that has failed
- Following a root canal procedure
Our Crown Procedure
Any crown procedure at Tusculum Dental Care involves at least two appointments to our office. The first visit entails the administration of a local anesthetic, after which one of our dentists removes any area of the tooth that has been damaged. Then, after using our digital imaging system to take impressions of the tooth without any of the discomfort or imprecision that come with the traditional mold method for impressions, a temporary restoration is placed on the tooth. At the subsequent appointment, which usually is within the next two weeks, the temporary restoration is removed and replaced with a beautiful, functional, permanent crown.
Dental Crowns in Greeneville
To learn more about the crowns at Tusculum Dental Care or our procedures, please call our office at (423) 639-7575 to schedule a consultation.
Tusculum Dental Care is here to serve patients in the areas of Greeneville, Jonesborough, and Erwin, Tennessee.